A31 have designed a hotel model for the 100% Hotel Show in Greece.
Perfectly attuned to the facilitators’ intentions to generate an exhibition that will enhance the visitor’s stimuli through experiential events and activities, the project “Into the Light Hotel” was created in order to promote a timeless architectural approach of an exemplary Greek hotel model.
The challenge for A31 was to create an exemplary hotel space that also coincides with the Greek landscape, while also using the landscape to the space’s benefit. A31 focused on the beautiful Greek light and with the beautiful materials selected, allowed the light to emerge and thrive within the hotel.
At the same time, the use of slim materials is consistent with the new construction ethics that prevent excess usage of raw materials, while making the building eco-wiser and lighter.
““Into the Light Hotel” introduces the visitor to the 100% Hotel Show through a path that triggers memories linked to the way we perceive light as it effortlessly fits into all our experiences. The project aims to highlight the plasticity of architectural volumes and components, as well as the materiality of the walls and the utilitarian objects.”
“Into the Light Hotel” unfolds in 5 main sections:
1) The reception: An urban space which introduces the visitor to the concept and paves the way for the conquest of the integrated experience that shall follow. “Into the light – The installation” by A31 triggers memories and feelings and “The meeting”, a striking sculpture (1,80m) of Yiannis Moralis included in the scenery, prove the ability of art – when integrated appropriately- to “add” to the space and enhance the aesthetic result.
2) The Lobby: A place which allows connection with the mountainside of the mainland. Stone and burnished rusted steel illustrate the raw beauty which fascinates through the mere lack of any pomposity.
3) The Dining Room: A synthesis between classic and modern, allowing the harmonic conjunction of not only the elements included, but also the people for which it is intended.
4) The garden: Arid plants in a sand pit compose a landscape that resembles that of the Greek islands. The water element, inextricably connected with the Mediterranean landscape, couldn’t of course be absent from the scenery.
5) The Room: A contemporary space with cement floor, white furniture and built-in bed, which could be found in a Cycladic hotel, comforting the visitor with its welcoming nature and its unpretentious feel.
Additionally, the lobby features the artwork of Apollo Glykas which is a modern take on Shadow Theatre. “The applications of light through different perspectives and filters (modern trellises, skylights, pergola) trigger the visitor’s emotions, since surprise is being succeeded by warmth, feeling of safety and intimacy. In this experiential manner the visitor is not simply required to “grasp” the space, but actually enters and “fits” right into it, in an exact simulation of what should happen in an ideal hotel.”
As guests pass through each section of the hotel, they come across the materials used while also absorbing additional information about each selection. A31 has created a space not only of pristine contemporary design elements, but a mecca for guest’s own Inspiration.
Submitted by Coco